The Christian life is meant to be shared together, and Central offers an open and inclusive community where all are welcome. Many people comment on the sense of warmth and hospitality they experience here. Our congregation is large enough to offer many different programs and activities, yet still foster an environment where everyone is known and where close, intergenerational relationships can be formed.
Every Sunday, worship is followed by a time of sharing food and conversation in the East Parlor. Hosted each week by volunteers from the congregation, it provides a great chance to connect with each other. Central serves fairly-traded coffee from Don Justo Coffee with Dignity.
Throughout the year, we offer a number of different opportunities for fun and fellowship. These include an intergenerational LOGOS dinner each Wednesday, a winter Chili Chow Down, an annual church worship and picnic in Greenwood Park, and our summer “Party on the Patio” series. You can also ride monthly with our Pedalin’ Presbyterians around the metro bike trails. Each year, we organize an outing to a Drake basketball game for members and friends, as well as bistro dining opportunities and various gatherings in members’ homes.
If you’re looking for community, there are lots of different groups at Central you can join: book group, knitting group, parents group, Bible study, choirs, committees. And we have a wonderful team of volunteers called Central CREW, who help to organize all our fellowship activities. Let us know your interests, and we’ll help you to connect.
- Central’s Book Group – This group selects new titles each month and meets to discuss them in the homes of book group members on the third Thursday of each month. Contact Connie Voss, 515-457-7482, for more information about joining Central’s Book Group.
- Knitting into the Mystery – The Board of Deacons sponsors this ministry group which meets twice each month for fellowship and to knit prayer shawls, dish clothes and other pocket projects. If you can knit or crochet, or would love to learn how, this is the group for you! Prayers for peace and comfort are knitted directly into the fabric by each knitter. Knitting directions and a materials list are provided by the church. For more information about this ministry, please contact Sandy Dahl at 515-981-5410. The group meets every other Wednesday, from 6:30–8:00 p.m., in the 39th Street Lobby.
- Bible Study – Central Presbyterian has multiple study groups that are open to all who want to discuss specific Bible topics, in a focused and open atmosphere. We encourage you to come to any of our discussions that are on-going, insightful, historical and personal.
Wednesday Morning Bible Study:
Meets at 10:00–11:00 a.m. in Room 112 at Central. During the month of October, Central member Sue Heggen will lead the group using the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) 2017-18 Presbyterian Women’s Horizons Bible study curriculum, Cloud of Witnesses, the Community of Christ in Hebrews. Written by Melissa Bane Sevier, a teaching elder in the PC(USA) and Sung Hee Chang, a Union Presbyterian Seminary faculty member, this study approaches the book of Hebrews through a lens of peace, peacemaking and hope. If you have any questions, please contact the office by email or at 515-279-3658.
- Prayer Chain – Participants receive a weekly email with concerns from our congregation and visitors and a list of who to pray for during the upcoming week. If you would like to pray for others, or have prayers said on your behalf, contact the church office at 515-279-3658.
- Committees & Boards – At Central we offer an opportunity to help govern our congregation while meeting new friends and “rolling up our sleeves” for the church. Committees and boards are responsible for specific tasks and some are more time intensive than others. All are welcome to serve on any committee, but chairs must be ordained into service as an elder or deacon. Creating more and deeper friendships while having fun are often a part of doing God’s work for Central Presbyterian, or for our community and world through our congregation’s mission work. Below is a list of some of Central’s Committees. For a short explanation of each, click to view Brief Committee Descriptions & Chairpersons – 2017-18.
- Building & Grounds
- Business & Finance
- Christian Education
- Human Resources
- World & Community Concerns
For more information, contact the church office at 515-279-3658 or email.